Monday, March 12, 2007

Life in Kilema






I thought I would post some pictures of life around our house. I have posted one of the kids in the stinky pig pen with the piglets...the one behind our house. One of Patrick playing with Jack and Hannah and Yeska and Jackson our neighbors (children on Dr. Massawi,one of the docs who works at the Kilema Hospital). I have also posted a picture of Jack on the hill behind our house. There is a huge hill with a catholic shrine that has the most spectacular view of the Pare Mountains and into Kenya (which is only 20 minutes from here).
We are in Dar es salaam right now after an 8 hour hot bus ride (we are on budget travel!). We will visit Malinga again this afternoon and see if he will come to the hotel for a 'sleep-over'. It will still be another few weeks before he can live with us. It has been hard in that respect but that is how the system works. Please include us in your positive thoughts and prayers that the system works in our favour in terms of timing.
I have also posted a picutre of the 'meat shop' in Marangu. We passed it on the way home from a caravan stop last week. This, my friends, is the reason I have sworn off meat...that and the threat of Rift Valley Fever that has infected animals in Kenya. Jack has also learned how to kill and pluck the chickens that the 'chef' was preparing for the caravaners. Eric was our cook and he gave jack a real-life lesson about where the food we eat comes from. The fun never stops....you have to keep your sense of humour intact!

6 Comments:

Blogger Insulin Pumpers said...

Good to here that you are all keeping well. the the photos of the kids. we are missing all of them. Tell Roman the the rivers are staring to open up...
hope all goes well with everything.
Love always

3:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Karen,
I really enjoyed reading about your recent experiences as well as the kids'. It all sounds amazing... I am going to share it with the clinic tomorrow. Speaking of clinic we had a few crazy days; on one of our busiest days (Valentines day) there was a crazy snow storm and 40 pts cancelled … one of the other days Ross saw 50 pts by himself and refused any help from the other docs (record braking I think!) Anyway nothing as great as you are experiencing there but it’s what keeps us entertained here...
We all miss you and hope you have a great rest of the journey. I'll check your Blog for more updates.
Stay safe and we can’t wait to hear more of your inspiring stories when you get back.
Cheers,
Sara

8:24 AM  
Blogger The Flemings said...

Roman, Karen, Jack, Hannah and Malinga:

Big snow storm expected tonight - the March kick in the teeth! Thank you for you lovely stories. Enjoy your adventures joyously, serenely and divinely aware of life. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Love from us,

Paul, Melinda, Madeleine and Baby.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Karen,

Just wanted to say hello and that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I wish you much happiness with your new family. I also wanted you to know that I was very happy to have met you and your precious family and here`s to working together again someday.

Be well

Safari njema

Lise

Babara says hello, I`m at her home. Had a sleepover and now we are heading to the CACHA meeting

6:18 AM  
Blogger Mamoune said...

Hello Karen, Roman, Jack, Hanna and Malinga,
I looked up you blog tonight and I am very moved with the plight of all these children. This, coupled with the Afghan children I heard about at church on Sunday, makes me see again how priviledged we are here and what an overabondance of things we have. You are living a unique experience and making a tremendous contribution in the lives of so many. I keep you in my thoughts and in my prayers.
M.-T.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Joe Joseph Jr. said...

Hi Karen & Roman! Just dropping a line to say hey...WHAT an adventure you're on. Good for you.

Stay healthy & keep smiling and writing.

Joe

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home